Tuesday, February 24, 2009

from jobfox: How to cold-call potential employers

Here are the five essential elements of a great telephone follow-up to a resume submission with a sample for each element:

  1. Start with a contextual opening: If the job opening is for a project manager, introduce yourself in a context that will make the employer want to speak with you. For example, "This is Sarah Smith, and I am one of the experienced project managers from Smith corporation, one of your local competitors."


  1. Say why you're contacting her/him in context to the search they have underway: "I recently saw that you're looking for someone with experience in Microsoft Project. I believe I am one of the most experienced MS Project people in the local area. I have more than 7 years of experience and have an advanced certification in the software."


  1. Say why you are interested in the job: "I am familiar with the type of work you do at Jones Corp and think it's both interesting and exciting. Even if I'd have to start as a junior member of the team, I'd be excited to learn and grow in the position."


  1. Let them know how to find your resume in their email stack that contains hundreds of resumes: "On February 11th, I submitted my resume with sarahsmith@jobfox.com as the return address."

  1. Close with a call to action: "I'd love the opportunity to interview for this job. My mobile phone number is 555.555.1234, and my email address is sarahsmith@jobfox.com. Thanks in advance for giving my resume a look."

No comments: