Friday, May 24, 2013

Where are you going?


George MacDonald wrote: 

" I said, 'Let me walk in the field.'
God said, 'No, walk in the town.'
I said, 'There are no flowers there.'
He said, 'No flowers, but a crown.'
I said, 'But the sky is black,
There is nothing but noise and din.'
But he wept as he sent me back,
'There is more,' he said, 'there is sin.'
I said, 'But the air is thick,
And smog is veiling the sun'
He answered, 'Yet souls are sick,
And your work is yet undone,'
I said, 'I will miss the light,
And friends will miss me, they say.'
He answered me, 'Choose tonight,
If I am to miss you or they.'
I pleaded for time to be given;
He said, 'Is is hard to decide?
It will not seem hard in heaven 
To have followed the steps of your Guide.'
I cast one last look at the field, 
Then set my face to the town;
He said, 'My child, will you yield?
Will you leave the flowers for the crown?'
Then into His hand went mine, 
And into my heart came He;
And I walk in a light divine
The paths I had feared to see."

No comments: