Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Bucket List of Resolutions as a 20-something:

My Bucket List of Resolutions as a 20-something:

short term: years 25 to 30, ‘Til He Returns / or Calls Me Home:

GOALS FOR MY 25TH THROUGH 30TH YEARS (in no particular order)

  • Delight in my Lord daily, not getting discouraged when I fail or things don’t “go my way.”

I’ve learned a lot this past year already about the importance of finding my delight solely in Him; surrounding myself with believers, and immersing myself in His word only adds to the beauty I see in His sacrificial, gracious love us-ward.

  • Learn OT Greek

On my way, actually! I found a book on sale, and I’ve got the alphabeta down ;) and can read words… Now, on to grammar, vocabulary, and everything else!

  • Keep praying for and writing to Ol’ Whoever He May Be, and wait patiently for the Lord to smack him upside the head and get his booty over here… I mean, Wait on the Lord for His choice. ;)

Since at least elementary school I’ve wanted to get married, like most females, but it wasn’t until high school that I realized I need to be praying for him, even if I have no idea he is, or if I am even one of those that “end up married.” Praying for him helps keep my heart in check, and my eyes on the one who made me as the true Lover of my face. Saving my kisses for him also keeps my mind away from dwellation on things of the flesh.

  • Start an actual group for people (not just women) to learn to crochet: as ministry, outreach, and fellowship: Check

God has blessed my desire and passion with this already, and the Tabitha Club has been a lot of fun and a great way to connect with women of all ages! I’ve also been able to teach several people the basics of crochet!

  • See the Grand Canyon - again: Check.

I went on a day trip this spring (2009) after spending the night in Flagstaff at a coworker’s house, and it was amazing. Next time, though, I am taking someone with me. Big things like that are much better shared!

  • Lose 40 lbs.

I’ve somehow made ten disappear, but I would like the rest to just leave, as well.

  • Get a master's degree and my teacher’s certificate

Some people may not hold much to getting online degrees, but this is the path I’ve chosen (for now), and I’m on my way to getting it done! I’m single, 25, and the only thing tying me down is the need to get a teaching certificate so I can get an actual Teaching Job wherever He can best use me!

  • Run a marathon. Or something similar to a long distance

This will help me beat my body into submission, because I don’t want to be a pear on my 30th birthday. Hehe.

  • Shoot something besides skeet

I want to get a hunter’s license and shoot something. And say “I shot a something” and not just be telling tall tales. I am working on getting into a hunter’s safety class to get this one started J

  • Write a book

I’ve started numerous books, but for some reason cannot get past the first few chapters. Disciplining myself with daily and weekly writing goals will help me hone my writing skills. Hence, part of why I blog…

  • Be a better listener and a better questioner

I want to learn how to listen better because so many people come to me for advice (yikes!) and yet I still somehow let myself get distracted by the things of this world rather then dropping what I deem necessary to give myself to the people that trust me with their souls. I also want to learn to be better at asking questions that make sense, especially if no one else is doing the asking in a group of people.

  • Spoil my nieces and nephews

…But in a good way. I want to use the time God’s given me to bear my friends’ burdens, helping out where I can and when I can, and encouraging them in being the best mums and dads they can. Even though I’m not a parent, I can ease their burdens by listening, visiting, sending packages, and washing dishes.

  • Be more consistent with my written correspondence

I enjoy writing letters and notes to people, but so often I let other things get in the way; Getting things in the mail besides bills can be the highlight of a terrible day, and I love being able to be a tiny part of a smile on someone’s face. J I can understand Paul when he said, “I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; that is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.”

  • Memorize the book of Romans.

I’m a little more than 1/32 done! I started awhile ago, but left off before I went to North Dakota

  • Study Navajo and Arabic, and keep up with my Spanish and Russian

I love languages, and how they work; I have a few books I would love to work on while I “have time,” I would like to learn at least the basics – phonics, grammatical structure,

  • Go to Turkmenistan, or at least South America

I might not make it to Central Asia (monetarily) in five years, but eventually I would love to go there. Call me nuts, but ever since I did my 10/40 window project on that country in my senior year of high school, that country has held a special place in my heart. That is also part of why I took Russian…
And if an opportunity arises, I’d love to go to a country in SA or CA, specifically somewhere in the Andes where there are indigenous peoples. We could crochet together.

  • Have my “own place” again…

There’s nothing wrong with living at home, but it’s harder to have people over spontaneously to feed them or randomly workout, or just to have secret conversations about all things under the sun,… Basically, I just want my own place for ministry purposes, and a place to keep books

  • Go to a few more National Parks – namely, Yellowstone, Glacier, Arches, and revisit Theodore Roosevelt (North and South Units!) And also perhaps visit Alaska.

I love that God put so much detail into the world He formed, and the few national parks I’ve been to have opened my eyes to how Big He is. I also just miss the sky.

He was younger than I when he resolved such-and-such, and having something in writing will keep me accountable. Also, anyone reading this must needs feel freely obligated to ask me how things are progressing in the various bullets J

No comments: